The Numsimatic Hall of Fame has two new members.
Ludger Gravel and Vladimir Clain-Stefanelli were the latest
inductees into the prestigious group of numismatists during the first
week of the American Numismatic Association Summer Seminar
Gravel began collecting coins as a young man and by the mid-1890s,
he was an active member and leader of the Numismatic and Antiquarian
Society of Montreal.
Joining the ANA
in 1908, Gravel helped organize the ANA's 1909 convention in Montreal,
the first held outside the United States. He also served as ANA
librarian from 1910 to 1912, a board member from 1921 to 1922,
chairman of the ANA's second convention in Montreal in 1923, second
vice president in 1923, and first vice president in 1924.
Clain-Stefanelli was the curator of the National Numismatic Collection at the Smithsonian
Institution's National Museum of American History from 1956 to
1982. During those years, the museum's numismatic collection grew from
about 64,000 items to 800,000 items. The collection included gold
coins from the Josiah K. Lilly Collection and Russian pieces from the
Willis H. duPont-Georgii Mikhailovich Collection.
Hall of Monetary History and Medallic Art opened in 1964 under
archaeology with a specialization in numismatics in Austria and
pursued numismatics professionally in Berlin and Rome before coming to
the United States in 1951. The ANA recognized him with an honorary
membership in 1964.
The Numismatic Hall of Fame,
induction into which is the ANA's highest honor, was the brainchild of
W. Ogilvie, a Hollywood film writer and editor who served as ANA
historian from 1950 to 1970. It was created in 1964, and the first
inductees were named in 1969.
The Numismatic Hall of
Fame Gallery is located at the ANA headquarters in Colorado Springs,
Colo. The gallery features photographs and brief biographies of those enshrined.
Keep up to date on Coin World news and features: