Uncirculated rolls: Collector seeks new coinage

Readers Ask column from the April 14, 2014, issue of Coin World
Published : 03/28/14
Text Size

I would like to purchase rolls of Uncirculated coins (1-, 5-, 10- and 25-cent coins) that are still in their Fed wrappers. I have asked at many banks in my area, but no one can help (many of them don’t know what I’m talking about). The U.S. Mint is of no use at all; they are simply interested in selling specialized coins.

I want normal coins, in Fed wrappers and uncirculated. I also don’t want to go to a dealer to obtain them.

Where can I get these coins?

Merle Foraker

Via email

It may take a lot of perseverance and a lot of luck to obtain rolls of Uncirculated current year coins that were struck at the Denver and Philadelphia Mints.

The Federal Reserve, or “Fed,” does not wrap any circulation quality coins in rolls and hasn’t done so for decades. Therefore, the collector will be unable to find any Federal Reserve rolls of current coinage of any denomination.

The Fed contracts with armored car companies such as Brink’s, Garda, Dunbar, Armored Transport and Loomis, to wrap hundreds of thousands of freshly minted circulation-quality Uncirculated coins shipped to them from the U.S. Mint, based on Fed orders.

Banks and other financial institutions participating with the Federal Reserve Banks pay a fee to have the coins wrapped in paper rolls or plastic rolls, depending on the preference of the armored carrier.

The Mint packages for shipment in jumbo nylon bags or in special tank containers to the Fed-contracted coin terminals 400,000 Lincoln cents, 240,000 Jefferson 5-cent coins, 500,000 Roosevelt dimes or 200,000 American the Beautiful quarter dollars.

You are signed in as:null
No comments yet