Firms issue report on French Guiana gold mining
- Published: Nov 27, 2018, 11 AM
Canadian-based Columbus Gold and Russian-based Nordgold issued the results of a feasibility study into a joint gold mining operation, Montagne d'Or, in French Guiana.
Montagne d'Or translates from French to English as “Golden Mountain.” Initial capital expenditures have been announced at $361 million in U.S. dollars.
The feasibility study, which took three years to complete, suggests a life-of-mine production of approximately 2.57 million ounces at an annual average of 214,000 ounces for 12 years. The firms expect an average gold recovery of 93.8 percent of a potential 2.75 million ounces, at an “all-in” sustaining cost of $749 per ounce. Nordgold holds 55.01 percent of the company, with the remaining 44.99 percent controlled by Columbus Gold.
Inside Coin World: Counterfeit Trade dollar with wrong reverse: In the Dec. 10 issue, columns exclusive to subscribers include one on a counterfeit Trade dollar with the wrong reverse and a spotlight on Wisconsin quarter varieties.
The mining venture is not expected to be hampered by concerns over the use of cyanide in the extraction process. Extraction of gold from low-grade ore using cyanide in the leaching process is the most commonly used leaching process for gold extraction.
Columbus Gold officials explain that, while concerns were registered that cyanide had been banned by the European Union, a proposed ban was rejected by the European Commission in 2010 and again in 2017.
French Guiana is the only territory of the mainland Americas that is still part of a European country, France.
Connect with Coin World:
Sign up for our free eNewsletter
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
MORE RELATED ARTICLES
Paper Money Mar 19, 2023, 12 PM
Dutch firm warns of proliferation of euro counterfeiting
US Coins Mar 17, 2023, 1 PM
Week's Most Read: 2023 Morgan, Peace dollars
US Coins Mar 16, 2023, 2 PM
Market Analysis: Deja vu for this 1874-CC 50¢
World Coins Mar 16, 2023, 1 PM
Exhibition displays projection of power by the Tudor dynasty