Portion of Anglo-Saxon hoard set for display: Coin World Buzz
- Published: Aug 24, 2015, 7 AM
1. Portion of Anglo-Saxon coin hoard is ready for display
The coins set for display are a small portion of the 5,251-piece hoard of 10th and 11th century coins unearthed last December and valued at £1.3 million, a find that is considered one of the biggest in the last 200 years in the UK. Paul Coleman, a 59-year-old member of the Weekend Wanderers Detecting Club, was the lucky explorer who came across the hoard as he was scouring a large field just north of Buckinghamshire.
The coins, which depict the heads of past kings, are said to be from 40 different mint facilities around England.
2. Shady stories for U.S. coins
"The Confederate half dollar would be in a category similar to the 1804 dollar. The four pieces struck by the Confederacy were never issued or intended as money. Rather, they were struck as souvenirs, including reportedly for CSA President Jefferson Davis."
3. Order the Lady Bird Johnson First Spouse gold coin soon
The United States Mint will begin accepting orders for the $10 coin on August 27.
4. Precious metals pricing
Kitco.com listed the following prices per ounce as of 11:50 a.m. ET Monday:
5. Hot topics
Have a look at the three most-read stories of the last week on CoinWorld.com:
- Federal government to return millions of dollars in Liberty Dollars seized by authorities in 2007
- Consider collecting Coronet gold $5 half eagles: Q. David Bowers
- Repeat performance: Collectors angry over Eisenhower sellout
6. Something social
MORE RELATED ARTICLES
US Coins Jun 27, 2022, 2 PM
Paper Money Jun 27, 2022, 12 PM
US Coins Jun 27, 2022, 11 AM
Paper Money Jun 26, 2022, 12 PM