Editor’s note: This is one in a series of Coin World Collector
Basics posts on facilities under the U.S. Mint’s jurisdiction.
The Dahlonega Mint in Georgia was authorized in
1835, with construction completed in 1837. The Dahlonega Mint was
established to accommodate the gold miners of northern Georgia and
assist the Charlotte Mint in its competition with the Bechtlers’ North
new mint's first gold coins were struck on April 21, 1838 — Classic
Head $5 half eagles. Production of $2.50 gold quarter eagles was added
the following year. Coronet gold dollars joined the production minx in
1849. The year 1854 was the sole year the Dahlonega Mint struck Indian
Head gold $3 coins.
of the coins struck at the facility bear a D Mint mark, as does the
coinage of the Denver Mint. However, since the two facilities did not
operate concurrently, the coin's date should help determine the origin
of a coin with a D Mint mark.
troops seized control of the Dahlonega Mint on April 8, 1861. It is
not known whether the small number of 1861-D Indian Head gold dollars
in existence were struck under the control of the Confederacy, the
state of Georgia or the federal government.
Dahlonega Mint never reopened after the Civil War. The structure was
donated to the state of Georgia for educational purposes. Reopened in
1873 as the main building for North Georgia College, the structure was
destroyed by fire five years later.