1. Olympic coins presented
The nine coins released Friday, which included one gold piece and four silver, are the first of 36 to be launched, reports NBC Sports, which posted images of the coins.
"The gold coins will honor Christ the Redeemer, the 100m dash and the Olympic motto—Citius, Altius, Fortius," the NBC Sports report reads.
2. Precious metals pricing
Kitco.com listed the following prices per ounce at 6:02 a.m. ET Thursday:
3. What's new on CoinWorld.com?
Paul Gilkes reports on the sentencing of Bernard von NotHaus, the creator of the Liberty Dollar private voluntary barter currency who was convicted in 2011 of violating federal counterfeiting statutes.
4. Yesterday's most-viewed post
5. Catching up
We have a couple of updates on items from recent Morning Report posts:
- The unknown donor who drops a gold coin for "Mimi" in a Florida Salvation Army red kettle each holiday season has made it 10 years in a row. Fort Myers News Press reported on the latest drop.
- It turns out a lot more than 93 gold coins were found by diggers of a toilet pit in India recently. DeccanHerald.com is reporting that police have confiscated hundreds of coins from those workers and now have more than 700 coins in their custody.
6. A little more on those Olympic coins