When the Boston Masonic Temple burned to the ground on April 6, 1864,
ceremonial silver implements were pulled from the ashes, taken to the
Philadelphia Mint and melted for coining into Seated Liberty half dollars.
In The E-Gobrecht, an electronic publication of the Liberty Seated
Collectors Club, collector Len Augsburger discusses one engraved
relic coin from among approximately a dozen examples known extant.
The engraved 1864 Seated Liberty half dollar Augsburger discussed
was, as of June 19, 2014, still being offered by John Kraljevich Americana, but on hold.
The reverse is engraved in script in the field, "Taken from the
ruins of Masonic Temple," and "April 6th 1864."
The obverse is engraved "Presented to Sir KT R H Carleton / by
/ Sir KT D.W.W. / Boston." "KT" is an abbreviation for
"Knights Templar." According to Kraljevich, "R H
Carleton" refers to Robert H. Carlton, who marched with a plated
cornet in the 1868 procession marking the opening of the new Boston
One of those who marched with Carlton, according to Kraljevich, was
William T.R. Marvin, a co-editor of American Colonial History
Illustrated by Contemporary Medals by C. Wyllys Betts and who
published the still-standard monograph on Masonic medals, "The Medals of the Masonic Fraternity:
Described and Illustrated."