A brass 12½-cent “good for” token for use in the Pony Saloon in
Tombstone, Arizona Territory, sold at auction for $130 during a March
29, 2014, sale by Holabird Western Americana Collections in Reno, Nevada.
James H. Marrs opened the Pony Saloon in the late 1800s. The brass
token was “good for” 12½ cents toward purchases at the saloon.
Tombstone is a name that resonates with fans of the American west.
The Arizona town was founded in 1879 by Ed Schieffelin in what was
then Pima County, Arizona Territory. The town grew largely because of
the town’s mines, which produced millions of dollars worth of silver
bullion, making the region the most productive silver district in Arizona.
Tombstone is also known as the site of the gunfight at the O.K.
Corral. The Earp brothers — Virgil, Wyatt, Morgan and Warren Earp —
arrived in Tombstone around 1880. They had ongoing conflicts with
outlaws Ike and Billy Clanton and Frank and Tom McLaury. The conflict
eventually escalated into a shootout Oct. 26, 1881, during which the
lawmen killed Tom McLaury, Frank McLaury and Billy Clanton. The three
men were buried in the town’s Boothill Graveyard.
For more information about this item and other lots in the auction,
visit the auction website at www.FHWAC.com or telephone the firm at 775-825-1624.