Who do I turn to for grading: Collector ponders grading options

Readers Ask column from the April 21, 2014. issue of Coin World
By , Coin World
Published : 04/04/14
Text Size

I am new at this game, and I bought some About Uncirculated and Mint State (I think) Trade and Morgan dollars, and some other coins. How do I go about getting them certified?

David Smith

Via email

Each major grading service, including Professional Coin Grading Service, Numismatic Guaranty Corp., ANACS and Independent Coin Grading, has its own set of coin submission guidelines.

Guidelines may allow for direct submission to the grading service for authentication and grading or, depending on the submission option, may require submission through an authorized dealer approved by the particular grading service.

PCGS and NGC normally require grading submissions to be made through dealers that have been authorized by those services to submit coins for grading consideration.

However, both PCGS and NGC offer options that allow for direct submissions.

PCGS has its Collectors Club and NGC its Collectors Society, each of which charges a specific fee depending on the level and duration of membership.

Membership privileges include access to educational resources, online forum participation and submission privileges.

The fees the grading service charge for submissions, whether direct or through an authorized dealer, depend on the level of service desired, often noted as “turnaround time,” the type and number of coins submitted, variety attribution, and other additional services desired.

You are signed in as:null
No comments yet